If you didn’t get the memo, we don’t really adhere to the tradition Western diet 😉 Allergies, sensitivities and Mama’s endless researching of proper nutrition means that typical meal ingredients are substituted with healthier options. Our beef teriyaki meal tonight was no different and definitely didn’t disappoint!
Typically, I like to use Ontario produce (or even closer to home if possible!) and so that means the veggies that are added to our meals vary. Tonight I used celery, carrots, mushrooms and my own red cabbage sauerkraut. As always, I use grass-fed beef from a local producer. I served the teriyaki sauce over beef, veggies and rice noodles and topped with some fresh garlic chives. Delish!
So, without further ado, our teriyaki sauce recipe!
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (we use this one)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp grass-fed gelatin (we use this one)
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Heat all except gelatin and 1/4 cup of water in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup of cool water and let it “bloom” for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk gelatin into warm sauce and continue whisking until gelatin is totally dissolved.
- Simmer with lid off for approximately 20 minutes (or more if you like a thicker sauce).
- Enjoy over beef or chicken!